Friday, June 12, 2009

I hate Chicago and other tales from our trip!

Okay, I didn't actually take any pictures on our roadtrip (this time around I decided to tuck my camera safely away and concentrate on just getting there)! I did, however, steal this picture from my friend Sarah's blog- it just seemed too fitting! Because even though our truck didn't look quite like this it sure did feel like it (we were loaded)!
On Tuesday we left for our two month journey out West. For work we are required to attend a 4 week training and 2 week conference in Fort Collins, Colorado, Since it's a 36 hour drive to Colorado we decided to make the most of the opportunity and stop to visit my parents and family in Wisconsin along the way (which is where we are right now).
This was Lily's first big road trip (longer than 8 hours) and I just have to tell you that she was WONDERFUL!! After two days in the truck (27 hours of actual driving) Joe and I were spent, exhausted, and just a little crabby. Lily on the other hand was amazing- she fussed for maybe a few minutes the entire time (beyond amazing). In fact I would look back at her every now and then and wonder to myself how in the world she was still happy.
We had hoped she would be able to sleep at night in the car (so that we could drive through the night)- but after two hours of sleep she woke up and as tired as she was (and as hard as she tried to sleep) she just couldn't get comfortable (poor thing). We finally gave up and got a hotel room in Ohio (which was really the best for all of us). Since we drove 15 hours in the first day we really thought the second day would be a breeze. What we didn't really plan for was...Chicago. Normally (when it was just Joe and I) we would drive straight through the night and hit Chicago around 2a.m. Well, our handy GPS took us straight through the middle of the city at 3:30p.m. and we were stuck in stop and go traffic for HOURS. Lily did great the whole time while Joe and I were slowly loosing our minds to road rage. I hate Chicago was uttered more than a few times. But eventually we made it and somehow crossing the border into Wisconsin never felt so good! We are here now and feeling tired, but a little more rested. We are also feeling grateful that we have such a wonderful little girl who happens to thus far be a fabulous traveler!

1 comment:

The Good Harvest Homestead said...

urgh I HATE traffic! We got stuck driving through New York once during rush hour...I thought Asa's head was going to explode! haha of course, we didn't have kids back then either! That would have made it a lot worse!

I'm so glad Lily did great! I hope you guys enjoy your visit in Wisconsin! How are you feeling btw? Still getting "morning" sickness?