Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Animal Kingdom

Some animals we spotted on the safari ride


Lily and Joe checking out the gorillas


Lily at the petting zoo

When we were in Florida we spent our one day off at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I was so excited for this day! We talked about it often with Lily before we left for Florida and she was totally excited to see all of the animals. So excited in fact that when we were picking up our luggage at the airport in Orlando she looked around and then said to me, "Mommy, where are all the animals?" Thankfully she waited very patiently for a few days to finally see them! We heard wonderful things about this theme park and we were pretty excited. So I have to admit that in the end I was a little bit disappointed. To be honest I thought it would be bigger and have a lot more animals and attractions. I've been to zoos that have more animals. But then again we didn't get to do and see everything (we were a little bit limited with an infant and a preschooler). It was also crazy crowded (it was school break week on the east coast- not a good week to visit a Disney theme park). But in the end Lily loved it- so we had a good time too!

Our favorite part of Animal Kingdom was the Kilimanjaro Safari ride. Basically it takes you on a jeep safari ride through the "African Savannah." It was pretty cool to see so many of the animals just roaming around together. Of course some of the animals, like the lions, were in their own confined areas but they did a good job of making it look real. And to be fair I'm not sure I'm ready for my two year old to witness a lion eating a zebra at Disney anyway!:) My very favorite were the giraffes- so cool! Lily liked them too and said her other favorites were the crocodiles. This ride was the first thing we did in the park and we also headed back at the very end of the day for another safari ride. It's always been a dream of mine to go on a safari in Africa. I hope not, but this may be as close as I get.

No comments: