Thursday, July 1, 2010

10K


Today Joe and I registered to run in the Westport Island 10K Shore Run on August 22nd. So maybe you are thinking, "Gee, I didn't know you were a runner." Well, you would be right. I'm not. A runner. At all. Seriously. And you know what, I don't think I'll ever really be. No, it's not because I don't want to be a runner or that I'm in my 30's, or that I have two kids, but more that I have two bad knees. And yet I've realized that left to my own devices I will ALWAYS choose to "sleep in" rather than work out. Or watch tv, or blog, or edit pictures, or work on some sort of craft or project or something. If I'm being honest I would probably choose to clean before work out. So...I need something to motivate me...I need something to train for. So just recently I convinced Joe to start training with me for a sprint triathlon (which we would compete in next summer). I figured that I might be able to handle that with my knees (since it's not quite as much running and it's mixed in with biking and swimming). And while I still want to do that, Joe decided that this goal is too far away to be really motivating (and he is probably right). And then he heard about this program at our YMCA where a woman there is training people to run a 10K. So we signed on. It's a pretty good deal as she will help us develop a training plan as well as meet with us individually once a week for training. So for a pretty low cost we've got ourselves a trainer (for 10 weeks) and some proper motivation to actually get me up and running! We start on Monday...So here we go...it should be interesting. I'll keep you all updated!

No comments: