Monday, July 7, 2008

Worth The Work!


The picking may have been a lot of work, but it all seemed worth it the other night as we enjoyed fresh, homemade strawberry shortcake. It's my mom's recipe for real shortcake and I've loved it ever since I can remember. I even made a baby shortcake for Lily to enjoy! Thought I would share the recipe in case you might want to enjoy it too! Here it goes:

Shortcake:

Mix 2cups flour, 1/2tsp salt, 4tsp baking powder, and 2TBSP sugar
Cut in 1/3cup shortening

Add 1/2c milk and 1 slightly beaten egg

Form small cakes/mounds (makes around 6-8)

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees
Served best with mashed strawberries (the shortcake sort of soaks up the extra juice)

1 comment:

Annee said...

We just finished eating some raspberry shortcake. This was THE BEST shortcake recipe we have used yet. Thanks.
Annee and family
CCCer with Joe