Saturday, April 11, 2009

To Potty Train or Not to Potty Train?



Yes, this is our question- and to be honest we are a little torn. You might remember a little while back I posted the night that Lily first used her potty chair. Well, sure enough the next day she used it again twice... and then quickly after that became totally afraid of it and wanted nothing to do with it. We chalked the whole thing up as a fluke and decided to go back to our plan of potty training her later in the summer. Until...just a few weeks ago when she again became totally interested in going to the bathroom in her potty- and this time it's stuck. She goes "peepee in her potty" at least once or twice a day (and she's even pooped in her potty a few times). Every time she does she gets candy (Hershey Kisses or Mike N' Ikes)- and I'm certain this is why she is so interested (the child will do anything for candy)- but it's working! I feel fairly certain (although I could be wrong) that if I just went for it and devoted a few days solely to potty training that we could have her trained (at least during the day). So, why the dilema? Well, we have a lot of traveling to do this summer. Our summer assignment is for 6 weeks in Colorado and we have decided to drive out there (yes, drive with our 2 year old)! On the way out we will stop in Wisconsin for a week to vacation with my family and right after returning to Maine we will go to camp to vacation with Joe's family for a week. All of this traveling starts in June. And to be honest it really just seems easier to travel cross country with Lily is diapers. I can only imagine how many times we would have to stop for her to use the bathroom (or how many potential accidents there could be)- and to be honest half of the restooms along the way scare me! So, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be less of a hassle for us to leave her in diapers until August. But... I've been warned by friends that there is a window of opportunity for potty training (when they are most interested- like she seems to be now)- that we probably shouldn't pass up on. So, there is our dilema. I realize that most parents might love to have this "problem"- so I'm not complaining!:) I do think we're leaning towards potty training sooner rather than later- but I'd still love to hear your opinion (so please vote in my new poll)! And in case you are wondering- the picture above is of the baskets holding all of Lily's diapering supplies. I took some cute pictures of her naked on her potty that I really wanted to post but then decided that it might be best not to post them here where they might be seen by people I don't know!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

i would do it now. potty training seems to be a tricky issue. (for us anyway.) While A, IS potty trained, (well except for poop),she seems to be regressing a bit. she will hold pee all day and almost have an accident. she doesn't even want to try. i'm just about ready to tear my hair out.

The Good Harvest Homestead said...

I definately wish i had your problem!


We are very jealous! Tell Lily to get Brenna interested in the potty too!

:)

Sarah said...

Yes! Carpe Diem! Do it while she's into it!

Kerri said...

I say do what works best for your family! She will not be 5 and still not trained. We potty-trained Zoe last spring and then she regressed when we went on project, so I caved and went back to diapers. We finally tried again a few weeks ago, and although there are still challenges, it's amazing how much more control she has now. I'm not sorry I took the easy route!

Brockstars said...

I think Matt was about Lily's age when we trained. The first couple of weeks I remember thinking, "Why did I start this???" but after that he got it and did incredibly well. You may be surprised how much she progresses by the time it's time to hit the road. We didn't do this but I know friends who will pull out the potty on the side of the road (or wherever) on roadtrips and there are always "pull-ups" if you're afraid of carseat accidents. "Good luck!"

Brockstars said...

Ah--the previous comment is from Krist, not Mark. He's not that into giving potty training advice :)

Hope to see you at CSU!