Thursday, April 15, 2010

Indy





This is Indy- our 6 year old, 80lb black lab mix. He is very loved in our family. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old. And in the years that he has been a part of our family he has slept in our bed to varying degrees. Finally though when I was pregnant with Eli we booted him from our bed (during the evening). Since then he has slept rather peacefully in our living room (except during the day when he claims our cozy bed all to himself). But something unusual happened when Eli was born. Indy stopped sleeping in our bed all together (at night or during the day)! I think that it happened for a couple of reasons. First was that Eli started sleeping in our room (in our bed in his newborn lounger or next to the bed in the co-sleeper). Apparently Indy didn't want to sleep around the baby. In the first few months we also changed most of Eli's diapers on a blanket on our bed. Apparently Indy didn't want to sleep where diapers were being changed (and who can blame him)! And finally, during the first few months Joe slept in other places (so that at least one of us could get some sleep). And Indy would rather sleep with Joe in a twin bed than with me and the baby. Overall though I think that Indy just figured that the bed was the baby's now and he just sort of forgot about it. And I LOVED it!! For the first time in 6 years our sweet, cozy bed was blissfully free of dog hair. But...about a month and a half ago Eli started sleeping in the crib in his room. I started sleeping in the twin bed in Eli's room (since he's still nursing once a night). Joe started sleeping in our bed again... and Indy started sleeping there again too (at night and during the day). Uggghhh...dog hair everywhere. As you can see he has made himself right at home (and yes, he often sleeps with his head on our pillows)! As cute as he is I've informed him that his days in our bed our numbered. As soon as our babe is sleeping through the night I will be regaining my rightful place in the bed (and Indy will once again be booted to the living room). And now that I know how delightful a bed can be when it's free of dog hair I will be doing everything I can to keep him out of there all together! I love him, but this tired mama wants her bed back!!

No comments: