Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bye Bye Peanut Butter!

Well, Lily had her allergy testing done today- and yes, she is allergic to peanuts!:( This is about what we expected, but of course it's still disappointing. Apparently it's quite a big deal- as eating any food made with peanuts/peanut butter could lead to a reaction- anything from a rash to her airway closing up. So we have to be quite careful (especially since you can't explain to her that she can't have peanuts). So, I guess we are entering into a new world of reading ingredient labels, asking resteraunts lots of questions, and asking friends not to bring foods with peanuts for their kids- and oh yeah, our favorite candy (Reeses peanut butter cups for Joe and peanut butter M&M's for me) will have to be hidden and saved for after bedtime! And we will have to carry an epi pen with us from now on. So I'm sad that my little girl will never know the joy of peanut butter and chocolate -but at the same time I think about all of the horrible diseases she could possibly get and for now I'll just count by blessings and move on to almond butter!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Wow...I am so glad you were able to find out about the allergy. You definitely have a good perspective, Angie. :-) Looking back over your posts, you guys are so cute! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and your posts. Lily is delightful.

Did you ever decide on your chair rail? I can't wait to see pictures.

Annee said...

Did they test her for Almonds as well? Noah can't have any nuts so he eats sunflower butter. If you have any food allergy questions feel free to ask. We have been living this life for about 4 years now. The latest in our world is that we had to ask our church to go nut free. It is stressful for me during potlucks and other fellowship times to make sure he is safe. You will be amazed how quickly Lily will understand and ask questions. Noah will tell waitresses "I can't eat that because I will get sick". Just this morning he was singing a made up song about Veganaise (Vegan Mayo). Too cute.