Monday, November 17, 2008

Food Drive!


On Saturday Lifelines hosted a food drive to support one of the local food pantries (Crossroads Ministries)! Unfortunately Saturday was kind of a rainy, miserable day to be out collecting food. Not nearly as many people showed up to help as we had hoped so it was a little disappointing. We had hoped to stroll Lily around some neighborhoods in her wagon to collect food, but due to the rain we ended up driving around and Joe and I would rotate every few houses (between sitting in the car with Lily)! Thank goodness for the portable DVD player we just bought for our upcoming trip- it allowed us to collect food for an hour and a half. It was hard not to be sad that only 12 of us showed up. But then as we were collecting I was thinking that real service is about doing the right thing even when nobody else is (and you don't really feel like doing it either). It was encouraging to see so many people willing to give. And as I watched my husband trek from house to house in the rain I was reminded once again of how blessed I am- that I have a husband who cares this much about others. In the end we ended up with a truck load of food that we delivered to the food pantry this morning!

No comments: