Thursday, January 28, 2010

A day in the life...


So I thought it might be interesting to give a glimpse of what one of our days looks like. So, here is a day in the life of me...
Thursday:
4a.m.- Wake up to feed Eli
4:30a.m.- Finish feeding the baby and both of us drift peacefully back to sleep
5:55a.m.- Lily trots on downstairs, peeks in my bed, and wakes me up. It's very early, but this is one of Joe's gym mornings so my day starts early. I force myself out of bed. Turn on the Curious George video for Lily (yes, we often let her watch videos or cartoons in the morning- what can I say- I'm not a morning person). I lay back down on the couch for a half an hour while Lily watches George.
6:30a.m.- I decide to get off the couch even though I would prefere to lay there for a few more hours!:) Take a shower and get ready for the day (but put my pajamas back on because Eli is asleep in my bedroom and I don't want to risk waking him to get my clothes). Have a brief conversation with Lily about toast in the middle of drying my hair. Go to the basement and turn the dryer back on because the clothes didn't get completely dried. Fix breakfast for me and Lily. Joe gets home from the gym and the 3 of us have breakfast together. Lily talks about what she wants to be for Halloween (aparently it's a ghost or a bunny- she wants me to be a Cheerio)! Clean up from breakfast.
7:30a.m.- Baby wakes up. I feed the baby (while watching the Today Show- Joe and Lily play upstairs). Dress the baby. Then I get dressed and have a small emotional break down because I can't find clothes that fit. I find a sweater that I don't really love- but at least it fits. I feel sorry for myself for a minute or two, strap on the pedometer, and look at my beautiful baby and decide it's all worth it (and that I'm going to the gym tomorrow).
8:45a.m.- Put Eli down for a nap. Start writing this blog post (because I'll never remember all of this at the end of the day). Put Eli's pacifier back in about 5 times. Watch Lily color and remind her to put the caps back on her markers. Baby falls alseep. Get Lily dressed. Pick up Lily's room. Play with Lily (we play kitchen, Bee Bop Band, and ballerina). Get roast out for dinner.
9:50a.m.- Eli wakes up and I feed him. While feeding the baby we have "God Time"- I read to both of them from the toddler Bible and we talk about how God created everything. Lily plays with stickers while I finish feeding the baby. She finds a halloween sticker and I try to explain the difference between a "mommy" and a "mummy."
10:20a.m.- Get the kids ready for the library. When we start driving a song I like by the "Black Eyed Peas" comes on the radio. Lily is upset and wants her music. We have a conversation about taking turns.
10:30a.m.- Toddler Time at the library- singing, dancing, stories and coloring. Afterwards we pick out some books. Mrs Cindy, the children's librarian, reads to Lily while I pick out a few magazines for myself and check out. Eli falls asleep.
11:45a.m.- Back home. I make lunch and put a roast and veggies in the crock pot for dinner. Eli wakes up. Lily and I have lunch while I'm holding Eli. I feed Eli while Lily looks at the librry books. Update this post. Quickly check my email.
1:00p.m.- Eli falls back asleep (I kiss him a few times because he has the most adorable chubby cheeks ever). I put Lily down for her nap (I give her a big hug because she gives the best squeezes ever). I clean up the lunch mess. Now that both kids are "napping" I have a little time to myself. I watch a little television, eat some crackers with cheese spread, and finish my blog post on sledding. This only lasts about 20 minutes- Eli wakes up. We sing and read a book. He gets a little fussy so we walk around the house- picking up the living room a bit along the way.
2:15p.m.- I feed the baby. I talk with my friend Laura for a few minutes on the phone. Normally this afternoon we would be with a few of our friends for our weekly prayer group/playdate- but Lily is still napping so we don't make it this afternoon-bummer.
3:00p.m.- I give Eli a bottle to suplement his feeding. Change a very messy diaper. Give Eli some tummy time. It's snowing outside.
3:30p.m.- Eli goes down for a nap. I finish picking up the living room and start cleaning the bathroom (it's been a while and we have friends coming on Saturday). Lily wakes up half way through cleaning the bathroom, but Joe comes home from work 5 minutes later. I finish the bathroom and reward myself with a giant mug of hot cocoa while I glance over one of the magazines I got from the library.
4:30p.m.- Eli wakes up. I feed the baby. We eat dinner together as a family. I put Eli down for a nap. I take the dog out for a walk. I don't normally walk the dog but I need the exercise and fresh air. It's actually quite beautiful walking in the lightly falling snow. Come back home. Hold the flashlight on Lily (as a spotlight) as she dances in the living room. Help Lily pick up her room. Eli wakes up. I walk around with him and pick up the living room (trying to hold off his next feeding for a bit longer).
7:00p.m.- Feed the baby. Update this post. Read some of my friend's blogs. I was going to finally learn how to use the video camera my parents bought us, but only got a far as finding the directions. Lay down on the couch for a few minutes. Eat some more cheese and crackers. Get enough energy to switch the laundry and put in a new load (but not enough energy to fold the laundry). Trade backrubs with Joe while we watch The Office (but it's a rerun so somehow I end up watching the militry channel). Fall asleep on the couch for half an hour.
10:15p.m.- Try to feed the baby- he can't stay awake long enough to eat very long.
10:30p.m.- Lights out for me...I'm exhausted!

P.S.- Even though I was pretty specific I didn't include everything that happened during the day- there were many more conversations (like Lily wondering if carrotts and birds go to the bathroom), moments of discipline, snacks, bathroom breaks, diaper changes, sighs, and laughs. I thought this would be fun to do and I was right. Not only did it help me to be really intentional with my day, but it also was a real encouragement for me to look back and see how much I really accomplished during the day!

No comments: