Sunday, January 31, 2010

Piggy Bank Bounty

Gotta love the little Elvis lip!


Lily's piggy banks were getting pretty full! After two and a half years of us, my parents, and other family and visitors giving Lily change to put in her piggy banks it was time to empty their bellies! Lily really enjoyed shaking the change out all over the living room floor! I then taught her the names of each of the coins and we began seperating each kind into their own pile. Lily thought this part was fun for about five or ten minutes before she lost interest and I ended up doing the rest on my own. We did this because the last time we had change we found out that our credit union requires that the change be seperated and rolled. Joe didn't tell me until later that they now have a coin counter machine. Oh well! Lily and I also talked about the different things she could do with her money- including save it for college someday, save it for something that she really wants, give it to God (through the church), or give it to others who are in need. Then a few days later the four of us headed down to our local credit union and Lily got to dump all of her change into the coin counter. Our little lady has saved around $130!! We planned to open a savings account for her that day- but didn't realize that we would need her social security card- so that will have to wait until the next time! Overall it was a fun little learning experience. Although I'm sure she still doesn't understand very much of it she did say all on her own this morning, as we were getting ready for church, that she could give some of her money to God. In a hectic morning I couldn't help but stop and smile and be proud of my little girl.

No comments: