Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chai Spice Girls








The day after Thanksgiving Joe's mom, Lily and I made cookies- delicious Chai Spice Girls (and boys)! Only once or twice before have I really tried to let Lily "help" me cook- but she did great helping with the cookies! She mixed the dry ingredients and also dumped the flour into the butter/sugar as I mixed. It was a little messy but well worth it! I think that I'll let her "help" me in the kitchen more (even if it means a little more mess)! Joe's mom and I baked the cookies while Lily was asleep and then all three of us had a great time decorating them. Lily LOVED it (and she only ate the frosting off of a couple of them)! We are already looking forward to decorating Christmas cutout cookies with my mom!!

By the way, these cookies are sooo tasty! I think that gingerbread it a little too strong tasting, but these are just the perfect mix of sweet and spice! We cut them into little gingerbread girls and boys (and two circles with the leftovers- these are the ones Lily is decorating in the first two pictures). I think these cookies will have to become a tradition. Here's the recipe so that you can enjoy too!



Chai Spice Girls:

1. Remove contents from two bags of spiced chai flavored tea. Combine tea with 3cups flour and 2tsp pumpkin pie spice.

2. Beat 1 1/2 cups butter. Add 1cup sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in 2 egg yolks and 2Tbsp molasses.

3. Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and refrigerate 3 hours.

4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut out cookies. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake about 9 minutes at 350 degrees.

5. Eat plain or frost (we made our own frosting using cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla). Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your child looks slightly crazed in that first picture! Perhaps it was all the sugar :)

Angie Cousins said...

Sarah-
Yes,I blame the sugar (and that she was really excited)! She was from time to time licking the sugar off the cookies and then putting more sugar back on them! Oh well, it's Christmas- why not?!