Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Jesus!





After we opened presents on our little Christmas day Lily and I made a birthday cake for Jesus (Joe was taking a nap because he was sick). This was something we did in my family when I was little- every Christmas Eve we had a birthday cake for Jesus. Lily had a great time helping me bake- especially pouring the batter into the cake mold. After dinner that night we lite the candles and said a little prayer of thanks for the birth of Jesus. Lily loved blowing out the candles! After cake we all sat down to read "An Angels Story"- by Max Lucado- it's a great little 60 page story (Joe and I decided to make this a Christmas tradition a few years ago). Lily didn't quite make it through the whole book- but someday she will. The cake and everything might seem a little on the cheesy side- but I have to say that for the short period of time that we made it, baked it, decorated it, and then celebrated with it I actually felt like I was remembering and celebrating the real reason for Chrismas. Don't get me wrong- I love everything about Christmas- the tree, presents, food, family, snow, santa... but I want to also do as much as I can to really celebrate the birth of Christ (and to teach Lily to do the same)!
P.S. We are now in Wisconsin with my family celebrating Christmas! Hope that you are having a wonderful Christmas Eve wherever you are!

No comments: