Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First Day Alone!

Baking our first batch of Christmas cookies!
And below is what Eli was doing while we baked cookies!:)
I am so grateful that Joe had the first two weeks after Eli was born off! Honestly I have no idea how I would have done it without him around-he really is a wonderful husband and a fantastic father!
So, while he did technically have the first two weeks off he still had to go to his all day long EMT class on Wedn of the 2nd week- and then he was also gone all day that Thursday to complete his rotation with the fire department (also for his EMT class). So, those were my first two days alone with both children!
And do you know what? For the most part it went better than I expected. This could be because I didn't have high expectations!:) But, actually it went quite well. The first day Eli took some good naps and so Lily and I were even able to make some Christmas cookies (thanks mostly to my sister-in-law who pre-made the dough for us)! Lily had such a great time dipping her glass in the sprinkles and pressing them into the cookies- perfect for her age! Later that afternoon the 3 of us even managed to get out to my mom's prayer group. We didn't get much praying done and Eli wouldn't eat very well while we were there- but hey, we tried!
The next day went even better! We made it out to the library and their toddler time (one of Lily's favorites). I think it was really good for Lily to get out and participate in something that used to be part of her normal weekly routine (and hopefully will continue to be). Eli was awake and content for most of our time at the library so that was nice too!
Overall my first two days alone with the kids went pretty well all things considered. Of course the next day I was home with them alone (yesterday) didn't go nearly as well. Eli just didn't want to sleep and by the time late afternoon rolled around I was totally exhausted. Oh well, you win some and loose some. I guess some days with two kids will be better than others! I'm hoping (and expecting) more better days!

No comments: