Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth...





Don't you just love Eli's little teeth? Oh I love it! Eli got his first tooth (on the bottom) when he was 6 months old (about the same age Lily was when she got her first tooth). It was quickly followed by a second tooth on the bottom and then (interestingly) a third little tooth on the bottom. I snapped these pictures when both of his two front (top) teeth were almost all the way in (seriously too cute)! And now he has eight teeth! And thankfully the whole process has been pretty smooth- no major teething issues at all- just beautiful baby pearly whites! Until today.... You see today Eli was cruising around near the couch when his feet sort of slipped out from under him and he fell with his mouth taking the brunt of the fall. He was screaming, but immediately I wasn't too concerned because he falls many times a day (he's learning to walk). But I quickly realized as I scooped him up that this was different. He was really screaming and his mouth was bleeding (not streaming blood, but more than a little). So I held him and did the best I could to clean him up and comfort him (Joe was at the gym). He wouldn't really let me look in his mouth and I didn't want to get him worked up again so when the bleeding was mostly stopped I gave him his pacifier and we snuggled until Joe got home. But then he wouldn't let Joe look in his mouth either... Until about 30 minutes later when Lily gave him a cheese stick. He happily chomped on his cheese stick until that cheese stick was bloody. Joe was able to get a look at his mouth then and could tell that his front teeth had been pushed in some. My poor sweet baby. Shortly after he went down for a good nap and when he woke up and Joe checked him out a bit more he could tell that he actually still had a piece of his inside lip still wedged and stuck in between his two front teeth. Sounds awful doesn't it? And yet our little man didn't seem to notice at all. And when Joe quickly removed it Eli barely flinched. He clearly takes after his father. I haven't gotten a good look yet (I'm not sure I really wanted to), but Joe says that his teeth are a little messed up. So we'll just wait and see but we think he's going to be just fine and we are grateful that he's going to loose these little baby teeth eventually anyway. I'm also pretty sure that if anyone can pull off crooked front teeth it's this adorable little man!:)

2 comments:

The Good Harvest Homestead said...

oh no!!! Sounds like Brenna!! That's what she did when she was 1 and it chipped both her front teeth! He'll be fine poor baby :(

Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness. He is SO adorable with his chubby little cheeks and fuzzy blonde hair! Just like a baby chick. :-) So sorry to hear of his mishap, but it sounds like he's pretty tough.