Saturday, November 7, 2009

Goodnight Prayers



For a while now Joe and I have been praying with Lily before bed. It started off when we put her to bed at night, but now SHE insists on praying before nap time too! Usually we ask her what/who she wants to pray for and she really is pretty good at telling us (although sometimes she needs some suggestions). But she usually wants us to do the praying (she'll say, "Dear God" and "Amen"). Sometimes she'll repeat after me, but that's about it. Until a week or two ago. I asked her what she wanted to pray for and she said that she wanted to thank God for her books, for making the grass, and for daddy. So, I started praying. Lily quickly repeated me and said, "Dear God." But it didn't stop there. Before I could continue she just kept right on going with the following prayer:
"Dear God. Thank you for my books. Thank you for making the grass. And thank you for my daddy. I love you. Amen."
Ummm, I was pretty much in tears- especially to hear her tell God that she loves Him!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so precious! I've been thinking about when to start this...thinking about now is the time. We pray before meal times...quickly but not before bedtime yet :) How old was Lily when you started praying with her before bedtime?

Angie Cousins said...

Sarah- I would pray out loud right before I put her to bed from when she was really young- but we didn't start asking her to pray with us until she was close to two years old (we probably could have done this a little sooner- even though she wasn't able to communicate very well).