Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving!

Above: Lily and Brenna "baking cookies"
Below: Eli and his Aunt Mary
Happy Thanksgiving (a day or two late)!!!
I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday with family and friends!
We didn't really know how to plan for this Thanksgiving given that we weren't sure when we would be having a baby! One of the reasons I was so excited to be induced on Monday was that I knew I would be home by Thanksgiving- and I was (we actually came home the day after he was born- Tuesday). And Joe's family went WAY out of their way to make it a nice Thanksgiving for us. Joe's mom and dad cooked an entire Thanksgiving feast and brought it all the way up here for us! Can you imagine? Think about how much work it is to cook a holiday meal for 3 families and now imagine packing up the entire thing to drive two hours north!! We were also joined by Joe's brother and his family for the afternoon. It meant so much to me that they all made such an effort to be with us on Eli's first Thanksgiving!
Of course Eli was having a bit of a hard day nursing and I felt like I spent about 75% of the day upstairs in his room trying to calm him or get him to eat, but such is life with a newborn. I did get to enjoy the delicious meal and manage to watch a little bit of the Green Bay Packers game. The best part of the day though was watching Lily and her cousin Brenna play and laugh and just have the best time together. Lily likes to play with other friends, but there is nobody that she plays with like she plays with her cousin Brenna- it's like they have a special bond. Oh why can't they live closer?:)
The one thing that I didn't get to do on Thanksgiving was take very many pictures. To steal my friend Sarah's phrase, "I'm off my game." It's true- I've seriously slacked off in the picture taking department this week. And when I do manage to catch a few shots it's usually done quickly (thus not as good). Hopefully I'll remedy that this next week...we'll see.
Overall it was a great Thanksgiving because all day (even in the moments where I felt overwhelmed) I was reminded of how much I have to be thankful for- by looking around at our wonderful family who made such an effort to love us that day, or at Lily playing, or at my husband who was doing everything he could to help me, or at our precious newborn baby boy.

No comments: