Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bar Island













During our 2nd day off on the summer project Joe and I took the kids to Bar Island. It's funny that we have spent so many summers and days in general in Bar Harbor and that neither of us had ever gone across the bar to Bar Island- I guess it was just one of those things that we always thought we would do "sometime." So I guess this was our "sometime." At low tide this sand bar is exposed and you can freely walk across (or drive across) it to get to the island (you just have to be careful that you start heading back before the tide gets too high or you will be trapped on the island)! We had a really fun, relaxing time wandering across the bar, through the lupine fields on the island, and at the top of the island (a short half mile hike). My favorite part was on the way back when Joe showed Lily the little snails inside the seashells. We spent quite some time afterward picking them off the rocks and yelling, "Free The Periwinkles" as we tossed them back into the ocean! I think I had nearly as much fun as Lily. Not growing up around the ocean I think I am just as fascinated as she is!

No comments: