Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Random Act of Kindness


This afternoon Lily and I were coming home from a playdate at the park and I needed to stop for a few things at the grocery store (some friends are coming for dinner and I needed to pick up a few last minute items). I told Lily as soon as we left the park that we would be stopping and she was greatly looking forward to the free cookie our grocery store gives out to the little ones. So, when I realized half way home (and to the store) that I forgot to bring my wallet- well, things got ugly. Lily was very upset. I wasn't thrilled either because I wasn't sure when I would get a chance later in the day to make it to the store. And then right after Lily calmed down I remembered that while I didn't have my wallet I did have my checkbook in my bag! I could go to the store after all (because I don't think our grocery store has ever, once, asked me to see identification)! So I stopped, picked up the few things I needed, Lily got her cookie and we headed to check out. Everything was great- our two bags of groceries were loaded and in the cart, the check was written and we were ready to go...until the cashier asked to see my license (or any form of identification). I explained the situation and added that I had never been asked to show anything there before. Apparently the computer only calls for ID every now and then- go figure! The cashier was very nice and offered to hold my order until I could come back, but I told him that he didn't need to do that, apologized, and he voided my check. I was ready to walk away empty handed when the very sweet lady behind me handed the cashier some money and told him that she wanted to pay for my groceries!!! I was totally shocked- and quite honestly tried to talk her out of it. I assured her that I was fine and could indeed afford my groceries. But she insisted. So I let her pay, but tried more than once to get her to give me her name and address so I could send her the money. But again she insisted that she had been in my situation before and that somebody had helped her- and that now she wanted to help me! Isn't that incredible!!! Thank you sweet little lady from the Hannaford- my little family (and our friends coming for dinner) have been blessed by your kindness today!
P.S. For this random act of kindness I thought I would include a random picture (our pup, Indy, and Lily's pup becoming friends)!

No comments: