Thursday, February 24, 2011

52 Weeks of Service: Chicken Dinner Pie

Last week for our family service project we made and delivered dinner for a family in our church (the mom recently had surgery for breast cancer). She is just a great lady and despite having cancer she has barely slowed down in her service to our church (leading the high school ministry and helping to lead worship among other things). After surgery though she was forced to slow down a bit and thus is was our pleasure really to be able to make dinner for her family (including two teenage kids).
We made our absolute favorite go to meal- chicken dinner pie. I got the recipe from Joe's mom when we were first married and this meal has served us very well in the 8 years since. It was the meal that I made for Joe the night I told him I was pregnant (with Lily). It also happens to be the meal that I make for just about every one of my friends when they have babies or are sick or just in need of a little love in meal form.
It's yummy, it travels well, reheats well, and even freezes well. Most important thought is that it really is delicious. This time around Lily had a great time helping me to make the crusts (and playing with the dough)!
I thought I would share the recipe with all of you just in case you feel like making it for someone you love too.
Chicken Dinner Pie
Ingredients:
1/3cup & 1Tbsp shortening
1cup flour
1/2tsp salt
2-3Tbsp water
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1tsp salt
1/4tsp pepper
1/4tsp thyme
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup light cream
4 cups cubed chicken or turkey
10 oz cooked carrots
10 oz frozen peas
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Cook carrots.
2. Prepare pastry for top. Mix 1 cup flour and 1/2tsp salt. Cut in shortening. Add water to form dough. You may also choose to double to make a crust for the bottom as well as the top (I do this quite often). If I'm making it to drop off at someones house I usually buy a frozen crust for the bottom (which then comes with it's own pie tin).
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Sir in broth and cream. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
4. Pour into pie plate. Put pastry over and seal. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

No comments: