Friday, January 9, 2009

Salted Carmel Popcorn!




The other day I wanted to try a recipe I found for Salted Carmel Popcorn. It called for 10 cups of oil popped popcorn. Now, I've air popped popcorn and of course I've microwaved it, but I've never oil popped it myself. I had no idea what to do. Thankfully my hubby new what he was doing. Now I know how to oil pop popcorn and I may never go back! So, I made my recipe and it turned out soooo delicious! In fact, I decided to make another batch today to bring to my father-in-law's birthday party this weekend.
Since Joe was trying to get some work done I thought it would be fun to have Lily help me. She liked watching the popcorn pop on the stove and she really enjoyed dumping each cup of popcorn I gave her into the big bowl. But she really loved eating the popcorn. And then playing with it. Apparently a big bowl of popcorn is a great sensory experience for a toddler (and yes, I let her play in it. You're only a kid once)! And after her pacifer fell into the bowl by accident she realized that finding the nuk in a big bowl of popcorn is a really fun game (one that she did over and over again). Overall it was great fun- she helped me cook, we did a little learning (practicing counting out the 10 cups), and just had a good time! After watching her little hands and pacifier touch every single piece of popcorn I decided to keep that batch for us and I'm about to go make another one (while she's napping) for the party! Overall a great activity for a day when it's just too cold to go outside!

Here's the recipe:

Put 10cups oil-popped popcorn into a large mixing bowl (or a well cleaned/dried sink)


In a small pot over medium-low heat melt 1/2cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/4cup light corn syrup. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly, then remove from the heat and add 1tsp vanilla, about 1 and 1/4tsp salt, and 1/2tsp baking soda.. The mixture will get very foamy and light.


Pour the mixture over the popcorn. Use a wooden spoon to stir it quickly coating all the popcorn.


Spread the popcorn on two large baking sheets (sprayed with cooking spray). Leave out to dry or heat for 20 minutes in a 200 degree oven.


Delicous! You can also try adding 1 and 1/2 cups chopped pecans (or other nut) toasted in a
350 degree oven for 7 minutes. Maybe I'll try that next time!

Enjoy!








No comments: