Thursday, January 8, 2009

Toenails- Who Needs 'Em?

I believe that God is a wonderful creator. I also believe that He made each part of us in a loving, purposeful way. But lately I've been wondering... why did He give us toenails? Random, I know. But, here is what prompeted it. About 4-6 weeks ago I managed to jam my big toe on my right foot under the fridge. All I was doing was walking across the kitchen- so it is still beyond me how this really happened- but it did. And it hurt like crazy. It wasn't bleeding- and I couldn't tell until I took a good look at it- but I actually cracked my toenail way down at the bottom. And in the weeks since the whole toenail has been slowly dying (too much trauma apparently). Well, I should have cut it off a few weeks ago (the toenail, not the toe)- but I just didn't- maybe a small part of me was hoping that it might somehow reattatch itself (I don't think this can really happen- but I guess I was hoping). Well, the other night we went to the YMCA pool with some friends and after a good hour long soak in the chlorine I knew my poor little toenail wasn't going to survive the night. And it didn't. I cut it all off- literally the only thing left is a tiny sliver of healthy newly grown nail. And I have to tell you-my nail was as dead as a doornail- it didn't hurt one bit removing it! So, I am one of those people who hates cutting their nails too short- the sensation just bothers me. So I spent that whole first night without socks on- just to let my toe breath a little. I'll admit it- I was scared of what it would feel like to have something on it. But apparently the dying process over the last few weeks made the skin underneath tougher. Which leads me to my question- why do we need toenails anyway? Without them wouldn't our toe skin become a little rougher just like the rest of our skin? Is seems that way to me- since I'm really not much worse off without my toenail (ok, it hurt just a little bit when Lily stepped on it with her shoes on- but that could have been the case regardless). I do have to tell you that our feet are much prettier with toenails than without. In fact I'm a little worried that I may never be able to have another peticure again without totally grossing someone out (because I have to tell you- it's not pretty)!:) Ok, that is probably more rambling about toenails than anyone else has ever done. But those are my thoughts for today...!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

So then that picture isn't a picture of your feet, then?

I decided a while ago that God knew that we would need fingernails to protect our fingers when we are chopping tomatoes and other such food items. I can't tell you how many times my fingernails have saved me from bloodshed. So, I wonder if it's just so that they look balanced. :-) Good question.