Sunday, January 16, 2011

Halloween 2010







There are two things that I will always remember about this last Halloween.

First, I will never forget the search for Eli's hat. See, he was a spider for Halloween. The body of the costume was a hand-me-down (which I thought was adorable, warm, and Eli actually didn't mind having on). But, it was missing the hat. So I found this super cute spider had and once again somehow convinced my mom to make it!:) My mom worked so hard on it (even having my grandma help some too I believe). She even express mailed it so that we were sure to get it before Halloween. Now, I'll admit that I was a little nervous that he wouldn't wear the hat- but I was hoping (I just didn't think that his costume looked complete without it).
So, we spent the morning of Halloween carving pumpkins. During the afternoon the kids slept and Joe and I watched the Green Bay Packer game. It was turning out to be a wonderful day. My plan was to get the kids dressed in their costumes once they woke up, go outside to take their pictures, and then have a quick early dinner before we headed over to "Trunk-or-Treat" at our church. It was a good plan and all was going smoothly...until I started to get the kid's costumes together. Fairly quickly I found everything...except Eli's hat. The adorable spider hat that my mom worked so hard on. The one that completed his costume. It was just gone. I looked everywhere- twice. I tore through laundry piles and closets and just about every room and nook and cranny in the house. Joe helped too. For about an hour we searched and tore apart our house. Joe humored me as I had a slight emotional break down. It was, after all, Eli's first Halloween. His first costume. I was so very sad (and a little bit angry too). Let's just say it wasn't pretty.
But we had to keep moving. It was already pretty much too late at that point for pictures or dinner. And then, just as we were about to put on shoes and head out the door to church Joe found the hat!!! Let me tell you what a wonderful husband he is- simply for the fact that he was even still looking for me! It was in my camera case of all places! With new found happiness I snapped just a few pictures and we headed off to church to Trunk-or-Treat!
The second thing that I will remember most about last Halloween was that it was crazy cold! I mean seriously cold. Lily had been so excited to go trick-or-treating this year but even her enthusiasm was greatly dampened by the nasty chill in the air. We managed to make it through "Trunk or Treat" okay, but once the sun set and we tried doing some trick or treating around our neighborhood things went downhill quickly. We managed to make it to a few homes and the nursing home near our house, but that was it! Lily was WANTING to go home. Oddly Eli didn't seem to mind the cold too much, but he must have been chilly because he kept his adorable spider hat on the entire time!:)
So, that was our Halloween. Next year we'll hope for better weather, and I'll be sure to lay out the costumes the day before!:) And maybe I'll post the pictures after a few days instead of a few months!

No comments: