Monday, January 24, 2011

Superbowl Bound!

The Green Bay Packers are going to the Superbowl!!!!!!!!
Okay, I just had to celebrate that for a second!
If you know me you know that, being from Wisconsin, I am a serious Green Bay Packer fan. No, I'm not just saying that- I really am a big fan...much to the amazement of the women in Joe's family (I love you all). I watch all the games I can and for reasons that I can't even fully explain I feel emotionally involved in the team's fate!:) Needless to say I'm feeling pretty good right now!
I can say this- that Green Bay Packer football is a culture where I come from.
I am proud to say that Lily has entered into that culture (at the young age of three)!:) She is seriously a Packer fan! Now, I will admit that, earlier in the season I definitely encouraged her (okay, strongly encouraged her) to cheer for Green Bay. But since then it has taken very little on my part to convince her that the Packers are the best football team. In fact, she will tell you flat out that the Green Bay Packers are her favorite (and best) team! Joe will try to convince her otherwise, but she's just not buying it (smart girl).
Yesterday afternoon I was in another room when I heard the Playoff pregame show come on. A few moments later I heard Lily yell, "Touchdown! Packers!"- apparently they were showing highlights and she was quite excited. A few minutes later I heard her explaining to her My Little Pony that, "the Packers are my favorite team and if they win today they are going to the Superbowl." Right then I was one proud mama.
Through most of the game yesterday Lily was just playing (she is three after all). She would stop to jump and cheer when the Packers scored. But, for the last half of the 4th quarter she watched every play with me! And oh my the adorable things that came out of her mouth. Like..."they just need to be brave and strong" and "they can do it, I just know they can!"
She held my hand and covered my eyes and told me not to watch when I was nervous and she cheered like a real fan with me. And the picture above is from our favorite play of the game when Raji intercepted the ball and ran it in for a touchdown. I'll never forget her jumping from the table (yes, I was letting her stand on our coffee table) and swinging her around in excitement (I told you I get sort of emotional)! She may not totally understand the game, but what she lacks in football knowledge she makes up in enthusiasm!
Joe says that I've brainwashed her, but really I didn't. She may be a Mainer born and raised here, but that Wisconsin blood runs strong and deep.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah. ;)

JOE! What the heck!? Are you doing NOTHING to coach this child to wholeheartedly support the Patriots! C'mon Joe. Let's step up your game here. I don't thinkg bribing her with candy or toys would be at all inapropriate. I'm just throwing out a few ideas though.

Angie Cousins said...

Oh he tries Sarah- he really does! But I tell you that this girl has made up her mind and there is no persuading her otherwise!:)

vmurillo said...

I'm not much of a football fan, but I'll be rooting for the Packers on your behalf (and because I did spend 2 years of college in Wisconsin). I'll admit I wish that the Patriots had made it to the Superbowl, but I'll settle for the Packers beating the Steelers. Best wishes for a reason for both you and Lily to rejoice!